Saturday, March 28, 2009

America's Funniest Congressional Videos

Though America’s Funniest Home Videos’ prime has unfortunately passed, there is a channel devoted to running a live stream of bloopers and lapses of intelligence for most of the year. C-SPAN replaces the always funny clip of a blindfolded kid hitting his father below the belt with a bat instead of the unfortunate, colorful donkey with the hilarity of confused, mostly unintelligent elected officials in Washington D.C. proposing and arguing legislation to the best of their little ability.

When I learned that Congress would discuss the BCS system, I thought that the Onion had fooled me again, but I had underestimated the stupidity of our representatives. The decision of how NCAA Division I football crowns a champion should not be decided or even mentioned by the uninformed in D.C. The considerable biases and lack of knowledge would upset the whole decision process (sound familiar?). Also at a time where America faces two wars, an economic downturn, and countless other issues, the National Championship game participants are the least of my worries, unless Alabama gets screwed, then I’ll throw a huge fit.

Common sense aside, I want to see this happen. Not for any results per se, since there would be none anyway, but for what I mentioned before, the laughs. Charts and graphs that make no real sense, stories about programs (Utah) hurt by the current system, and the partisanship that would arise somehow would be a great watch and psyche me up for college football season. So I ask Congress to please help the country and all of late night television by attempting to fix how the BCS decides its national champion.*


*Seriously though, don't do this at all. Fix the economy, bring our troops home, and watch out for that dude in the White House.

No comments: